My grandma is a legend when it comes to jello.
Everyone remembers her for her jello. She didn't learn to cook until she was married. Everything she made was simple and wholesome. She was amazingly organized and clean. A modern lady and an old fashioned mom whose table was always full and always ready for family.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Eggnog

EGGNOG - non alcoholic, non pudding
*is is hard to find a recipe without alcohol or pudding for eggnog and I rarely have pudding so this is an adaptation from an cooking light alcohol recipe and I think it turned out delicious.  If someone else has one better let me know!!

3 1/2 C milk
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum extract

Combine both milks, flour and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Put the egg yolks in a bowl.  Whisk 1 C of the boiling mixture into the egg yolks gradually.  Add egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and cook for 1-2 more minutes or until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and add vanilla and rum extract.  Cool in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  Carefull because this can form a skin on the top while cooling.

Note - first of all I realize that rum and vanilla extract do contain alcohol but...
Also, use the nutmeg and rum extract to taste.  I find that I liked a little more but this is a good jumping point.

No comments:

Post a Comment